This is the seventh Christmas Quiz. Last year's answers can be found here (and all the previous iterations can be linked to from there). The answers were correct when they went to press. This year's prize is a bottle from the Left Back Cellars - the prize often takes years to arrive but I promise it will. A Marrs always pays his debts even if, sometimes, that requires legal enforcement.
I have barely written this year. That's partly because of the arrival of Charlotte Rose, my beautiful 20-week-old daughter. Ultimately, spending time with her is time better spent than writing love letters to Zvonomir Boban and when I'm not spending time with her I'm just trying to sleep. I'm not mothballing the blog and will return in earnest at some point. In the meantime, it will be the odd piece here and there.
As ever, I'd ask you not to Google the answers. There isn't really much point, some of the questions can't be answered that way and you'll waste your own time as well as mine.
Ultimately, if you are the sort of rogue who would do such a thing then, well, you shouldn't be able to look at yourself in the mirror. It is supposed to be a bit of fun. Your mother will be ashamed of you and you will likely die alone and unhappy.
I reserve the right, when marking, to (a) dock points for any QI style clangers (b) award additional points for points of interest. Drop me an email to email@example.com with your answers. Results will follow early in the New Year. Please do email in the answers rather than sticking them in the comments thread.
So best of luck to those of you who do read the blog and those who only pop on to do the quiz. It is an enormous privilege that anyone reads what I have written and the nice comments I occasionally get are always something to savour. I've had a fantastic 2014 - happier than I could ever have imagined. I hope that your 2015 betters that and wish you all a very Merry Christmas.
Love, or what you will,
Name that man1. Who is the dapper gent?
2. And who is this handsome devil?
3. And who is this legendary manager?
4. Name this stylish fellow.
5. And to finish this round... who do we have here?
6. Which Greek demi-god gives his name to teams in Spain, the Netherlands and Greece?
7. Which football club takes its name from a Princess of Denmark?
8. Oxford and Dublin have done it but London, Belfast, Cardiff, and Edinburgh haven't. What have they done?
9. What have Real Madrid done five times, AC Milan done four times, Sunderland three times, Newcastle United twice, Falkirk once but Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea have never done?
10. Sergei Kiriakov is the all-time top scorer for which nation?
11. When did Stanley Matthews play in Scotland colours?
12. Who is the only person to have played for Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal?
13. What did Charlton do in 1970, Sunderland do in 1979 and Chester in 2014?
14. Which is the only English city to have staged top-flight football in every league season since 1888?
15. What unwanted honour does Karl-Heinz Rummenigge hold?
16. Which two English league teams are not named after places?
17. Which team has lost the FA Cup Final the most times without winning the trophy?
18. Who were Gre-No-Li?
19. Who comes next in this sequence: Dunga, Kahn, Zidane, van Bronckhorst?
20. Three British regiments have won major British footballing trophies. Name them.
21. Ronaldo and Cristiano Ronaldo held it once, Cruyff once also, Suarez once but Maradona twice. What is it? And, for an extra point, who is the current holder?
22. Four men have scored a goal and an own goal in a World Cup. A point for each.
23. Who used to play at the Olive Grove?
24. Who used to play at Fellows Park?
25. Who used to play at Muirton Park?
26. Which international team plays their home games at Estadio Algarve?
27. What is the Signal Iduna Park better known as?
28. Who was Bill Shankly talking about when he said ''He belongs to the company of the supremely great like Beethoven, Shakespeare and Rembrandt'?
29. Who said 'I don't believe in God. In Spain all 22 players cross themselves. If it works the game is always going to be a tie'
30. Who said 'It was like seducing the most beautiful woman in the world. And then failing on the moment for which you did it all'? And what was he talking about?
31. Who was right when he said: 'The bacillus of efficiency has also attacked football, and some dare to ask what’s the point in playing well. I feel tempted to tell about the time they dared to ask Borges what is poetry for, to which he answered: ‘What is a sunrise for? What are caresses for? What is the smell of coffee for?'”
32. Who said ''Ninety-five percent of my language problems are the fault of that stupid little midget'? And who was he talking about?Nicknames
33. Who are 'The Little Donkeys'?
34. Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany, Ferencvaros in Hungary, Benfica in Portugal, Besiktas in Turkey. Who in England?
35. Which former England striker was nicknamed 'Atilla'?
36. Who is 'The Eastern Wind'?
37. What nickname links Ruben Sosa and Alberto Aquilani?
38. Which three footballers were known as 'The Three Degrees' in the 1980s. A point for each
39. Which England captain was nicknamed 'Crazy Horse'?
What name links...
40 A Colombian forward, arguably the greatest Futsal player in the world, and one of the finest midfielders of the 1980s.
41. A Japanese football team and arguably the finest Brazilian defensive midfielder of all time.
42. A Spanish Ballon d'Or winner with a recent European Golden Shoe winner?
43. One of England's finest ever uncapped players and one of England's most capped players?
44. A current Belgian international and a current France U19 star?
45. Who is Sweden's all time top goalscorer?
46. In 2004, each UEFA nation had to nominate their 'Golden Player' as part of UEFA's jubilee. Who was Germany's Golden Player?
47. Frank Lampard is Chelsea's record goalscorer. Who held the record before him?
48. Nine men have won the First Division or Premier League as a player and a manager. A point for each
49. Five teams have won the Turkish league title. One point for each.
50. Willie Angus, Donald Simpson Bell and Bernard Vann are three men to have all achieved which off-field honour?